Sunday, October 12, 2008

node: shelter|bus final design

The flip side of last week's assignment, we were to individually design our own shelter|bus for 4 hurricane relief workers. Our end products were to include a concept statement, 2 longitudinal sections, 4 cross sections, a programmatic diagram, and a detail drawing.

Concept statement:
Without water, there is no life. Water is a necessity that allows life to form as well as destroy it. This idea that water constantly cycles between creation and destruction can be condensed into a more scientific yet abstract concept. The hydrologic cycle- water’s constant movement between precipitation, condensation, and evaporation- is an extremely influential idea, especially when in the context of natural disasters. In designing a mobile shelter bus for four hurricane relief workers, one must consider the purpose of the workers. They are there to revitalize the disaster area, to restore life and re-grow. But then at the end of the day, the workers too need revitalization. The workers need a space that will physically and mentally revitalize them, time and time again. The hydrologic cycle is the way in which the earth becomes revitalized. It absorbs, condenses, and then evaporates. Gives, and then receives. These spaces are designed to function in the same way.

2 longitudinal sections:



4 cross sections:


Detail drawing:


Programmatic diagram:


All of this was to be composed on 2 11x17's, so here are mine.



These 2 bus|shelter|bus week-long projects were a completely new experience for me. And though I experienced some difficulties and obstacles along the way, I'm really enjoying learning about process, and what it takes to produce something I'm happy with. I definitely think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out, can't wait to see what's next.

No comments: