Saturday, December 8, 2007

ten graphic/media compositions

1. This composition works most because of the illustrations. It's nice to have a break from all the photography in magazines, and it adds a little humor or lightheartedness. I like how the illustrations stretches across the top half of the page, and the text is across the bottom half. It is nice to see a page divided horizontally this way, because a lot are not. I also like how they incorporated the blue background from the top in with the text by using it as bullets behind the numbers. This 2 page spread was featured in the April 2007 issue of Dwell.


2. This layout is pleasing to the eye because of the 8 box grid. I love layouts like these where one picture is eliminated for text, I mimicked this style in my process booklet for my time capsule scale model. I like the blue text that is repeated on both pages as well. These pages were featured in the December/January 2008 issue of Dwell.


3. This 2 page composition also has a grid, but a more dynamic one. The white space between the text and the corner the two photos make helps give your eye a break and time transition from one to the other. I also like that the larger picture's focus is more towards the bottom half of the page (because the colors are darker), to balance out the smaller photo placed at the top- it makes a diagonal. This layout was featured in the June 2007 issue of Dwell.


4. I like the composition a lot because it reminds me of something we'd do in class, such as assignments where we are to make a composition of things as we draw them. I love the randomness of the illustration, because it relates to the article above it, which is about deconstructivism in digital design. The article uses Apple's ipod shuffle slogan, "Life is random," and the whole illustration is exemplifying that. I also love how the focus (the drawing) is placed at the bottom of the page, making it more dynamic. You eye is drawn there first. This page was featured in the May 2007 issue of Dwell.


5. This page was featured in the May 2007 issue of Interior Design. I really like how this page creates a vertical zigzag with your eye. It keeps it interesting, as do the bright colors of the pictures as well as the cyan colored background behind the one picture and caption. I also like how they chose to leave the pictures that needed background context to be sold alone, and cut out the background around the products that don't need it. It keeps the reader's focus on the product so they don't get distracted with the background.


6. With this layout, I really love how they connected the two pages with color schemes, as well as graphic qualities. The took the orange from the college and used a smaller photo with orange on the opposite page, as well as the blue text from the collage to go with the large blue toned photo. The photographs on the right back seem collage-y and edgy, to relate to the college of cut paper on the left page. I also enjoy how they paired the scans with the photography, making their graphics more real and tangible feeling. I wouldn't necessarily call this a 2 page spread, but both the pages are completely connected. This was featured in the February 2007 issue of Metropolis.


7. This page creates an upsidown 'L' shape on the right hand side of the spread. My eye was drawn there first, and then to the pictures diagonal from the corner the 'L' makes. I love how they used a collage feel, which gives the article a fun, lighthearted quality. The not quite straight dotted line and the way the photos are a little tilted with rough borders gives a page an edgy look- matching the article's contents: different and dynamic shops. This layout was featured in the October 2007 issue of Metropolis.


8. The huge bold photograph that stretches 1 and 3/4 pages is really effective here. The photograph sets the strage for the article here (as it is the article introduction). The article is about a designer who designs with people in mind- things we can actually use, rather than trying to dazzle everyone with "perfectness." I really think the layout works here because it is so big and bold and real, which is what the article is all about. This was featured in the December 2007 issue of Wallpaper.


9. This 1 page layout utilized a very simple 4 block grid. I really like how they chose different sizes for the pictures to keep it interesting. I also like the color scheme- the blues and the yellows work well together, and the text perfectly completes the grids. This page was featured in the September 2007 issue of Wallpaper.


10. I chose this page because it is a little awkward, but it still works. Because the photographs are little off color, they seem aged looking, which is what they are going for. The photographs look candid and a little awkward, so the text and picture placement fits. I like the one larger picture on the top half and how everything else underneath is lined up with the edges, which carries your eye from the top to the bottom. This page was also featured in the September 2007 issue of Wallpaper.

No comments: