Friday, October 12, 2007

project 5: metamorphosis

This project was all about process, development, and being able to take elements from different things and use them to make something new.
We were to choose 2 projects from the people above and below us on the class list, and combine them. We also had to have 3 final projects- a "middle mix" and 2 that were more towards a single project, with a little bit of the other.

Here are the two I chose: Lily Glover's egg project, and Lauren Thore's memory project.




Next, we had to sketch out our ideas for the "middle mix" by looking for elements that were similar in both. We also had to come with a bunch of different ideas, and select the one that would work best. Some pages from my sketchbook:




We then had to build it! Here is what I came up with for my "middle mix." A white cone with an obstucted inside- a combination of Lauren's memory about being claustrophobic and a little scared, yet calm on the outside (when she went scuba diving), and Lily's "dangerous" yet cradling place for an egg. I used the jagged pieces to create a kind of cradle for the cone, as well as piercing it, making it a little more dangerous and broken up feeling than Lauren's. I do wish that I had added the element of the black from Lauren's project to this one because I feel there is too much of Lily's as it is all white.




After this, we learned that we had to produce two more final projects, each with more elements of one than the other. This way we'd have a clear transformation from one project to the other.



This one is more like Lily's. At first I wanted to make a cone shape completely out of the jagged pieces, but it failed. What I ended up with was a little progression with the jagged pieces from smaller to larger, and a tiny little cone that fit perfectly inside- much like the actual egg in Lily's project.




This one is more like Lauren's. The inside of her project looked just like the ocean when you put light behind it, so I used some of the same colors and materials she used, as well as adding my own version of the blue light factor she had- blue light-ray shaped paper. I also pulled the jagged matte board pieces from Lily's project to support the cone.




This project was really interesting- both making them yourself and to see others using your projects to make something completely new.



No comments: